Monday, November 8, 2010

Millionaire's Spinach Salad

Menu Monday: 
Monday: Crock Veggie Beef Soup (leftovers are great for lunch throughout the week)
Tuesday: Chicken Ciabatta Sandwiches
Wednesday: Breakfast for Dinner (a kid favorite!)
Thursday-Sunday: Veteran's Day Holiday Getaway! No cooking!

Here's an easy Millionaire's Spinach Salad recipe we love:
1/2-3/4 of a bag of baby spinach or 1/2 spinach & 1/2 arugala
1 avocado, sliced
1/2 can of hearts of palm*, chopped (I omit the pieces that are not tender)
1/4 cup Gruyere, shredded (or chunks of mozzerella)
1 Tbls. grated Parmesan
1-2 Tbls. olive oil
Place spinach in large shallow bowl, top with avocado, cheese, & hearts of palm. Add a bit of salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Lightly drizzle salad with olive oil.
*Hearts of Palm is a vegetable harvested from the inner core and growing bud of certain palm trees. It can be found in the canned vegetable aisle of most grocery stores.

*This post is linked to Tasty Tuesdays @ 33 Shades of Green.*

Product Review:
Ghirardelli Chocolate Bundt Cake Mix
HAVE YOU SEEN ME?
By now you know my love of cakes and for 'good things simple'. Well this is the epitome of good and simple. I always keep Ghirardelli brownies on hand for last minute entertaining. I pick up a large box from Costco that has about 6 mixes in it. Last time I was at Costco, I saw that they carried these instead. I grabbed it to try even though there are only 2 mixes. I whipped one up on Saturday night and let me tell you....AMAZING!!!!!! I made the bundt cake shown on the front, but you can also make it into cupcakes, or a layer cake. It even comes with powdered sugar for dusting. If you made these as cupcakes, I'm sure you would get some type of Mom Of The Year award. Here's the problem...I searched for these all over the Internet and they are virtually non-existent. Couldn't find any trace of them. So I called Ghirardelli and they said this is a new product that is seasonal. Here's the bad news. It's only sold at certain warehouse stores in certain states. California, Arizona, Illinois, and Utah are the lucky ones. I am going to head to my Costco this week and see if they still have it. If so, I will make it a giveaway. If you would like more information you can call 1-866-645-8080. Oh and last thing, it's MILK-FREE. It does however have its little disclaimer about how it is manufactured on equipment that also produces products containing milk. All of the lactose free people I know are not affected by this.
signature2

4 comments:

Sue said...

I'll have to check out my Costco for this-YUM! That salad looks just like the kind my husband and I love...anything with avocado is okay in my book!

cmunch26 said...

Hi! Just came across your blog :) You just touched my weak spot with that salad! I love avocado and never thought to put it in a salad..yum! And gruyere is my most fave cheese! I MUST try this. Sounds like a very tasty combination. Thanks for sharing!!

MrsJenB said...

Mmmmm....spinach, avocado, cheese and olive oil? Yes please! :-)

I've never tried hearts of palm though I've seen them everywhere. What is the texture like?

Visiting from Tasty Tuesdays!

alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

Hi Lil - Thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Tuesdays! Your salad sounds really delicious. I like hearts of palm but I don't think I've ever bought it - thanks for the reason to try it in a recipe! And anything that includes avocado is good in my book.
Alissa